Have you been feeling sick lately and you haven’t quite been able to kick it? It may not be a cold… it could be signs of mold illness.
Molds are different types of fungi that grow and reproduce through spores that travel through the air. While mold spores in small amounts are often harmless, they can grow and cause illness if inhaled.
Mold thrives in damp and humid environments, so bathrooms and basements are prime areas for its growth. Homes in Cottage Grove, Minnesota, where the summers are warm and wet, are particularly susceptible.
But how can you tell if mold is toxic and making you sick? Let’s look into five telltale signs there is mold in your home and it’s causing you harm.
How Can You Tell If Mold Is Toxic?
Mold may be a common occurrence, but it can also be hazardous to your health. One of the worst types of mold that can grow in your house is black mold.
Mold spores enter your home through windows or doors, and black mold can begin to grow in damp areas. Any mold in your home that is black should be tested to see if it’s toxic.
If you’ve found traces of mold and have been feeling sick, pay attention to the following.
1. You’re Suffering From Allergy Symptoms
Mold exposure can result in symptoms that are similar to those of allergies. Things like a rash on your body, wheezing or coughing, or itchy, watery eyes can actually signal your body’s response to mold.
2. You’re in Severe Pain
If you’re suffering from joint pain, headaches, constant colds, or brain fog, it may not be the result of a cold or the flu. It could be the effects of mold on your body.
In some cases, mold spores can grow in the sinuses or lungs and cause serious illness. In this case, you’ll be experiencing respiratory symptoms that should be addressed immediately.
3. You Have Digestive Issues
Diarrhea, stomach pain, and a change in appetite are also examples of mold illness. If you’re suffering from the symptoms above as well as digestive issues, the signs may be pointing toward toxic mold.
If you’re experiencing these symptoms and have not been given a diagnosis, it’s possible your illness is the result of mold in your home.
How to Prevent Mold in Your Home
So how can you tell if mold is toxic? Since the symptoms of mold sickness are similar to allergies and other illnesses, a test is needed to ensure your symptoms are the result of toxic mold.
If you’re in the Cottage Grove, Minnesota area and you’ve been experiencing these symptoms for an extended period of time and have been unable to find the root cause, it may be time to consider that mold is the problem.
The best way to prevent these illnesses is to prevent the growth of mold in your home. Moisture control is the key to prevention. Any wet areas should be dried immediately, and you can help reduce and prevent moisture by using proper ventilation.